Thursday, December 6, 2007

How ToTrain Your Dog

By : Juliesbiz
All of us with dogs at home know just how important dog training is. It is possible to train dogs of all ages, not only puppies and it not only saves mess and destruction in your house but results in a content dog too.

I have a border terrier dog named Ruby. I bought her at 9 weeks old and she is now almost two. I was lucky that a friend already owned border terriers and she gave me a lot of information about this breed such as exercise requirements and their personalities, which helped me decide to buy a border terrier.

Before you go ahead and by a puppy, make sure you find out as much as possible about the breed you want. Puppies are very cute but can grow into large adult dogs which need lots of exercise and room to live in. You must make sure you can accommodate a large dog if that's what you like and take it for long walks if necessary.

At first I felt I was getting nowhere. All I seemed to do was follow her around and try to teach her the basics. I knew that praise when necessary was essential to her training progress. Regardless of what you are training your dog to do, you will find that lots of praise and encouragement works wonders. The more they get it right, the more they want to please you.

At the same time, you need to let your dog know when they have got it wrong or done something bad. A stern voice is all that is required for them to take notice and stop. Never resort to hitting your dog as punishment because this leads to confusion and sometimes aggression.

My dog was useless at walking properly on a lead, but was great if left to roam free. As this is not acceptable in public places I invested in a harness. Once I had fitted it properly and adjusted it initially, then it was straight forward to use after that. She responded very well to wearing a harness and her walking improved instantly.

This is only a little guide to help you get started with training your dog. It is a great idea to buy a dog training book from the very beginning and read about it as much as possible. If you are prepared to put in the effort, your dog will be well trained and content. Always ensure that training is fun for both of you and is done in a safe place.

My dog is not perfect like a show dog, but she is now obedient and great fun to have around. I hope you have found these tips on dog training useful as a starting point. If you are interested in finding out how to train your dog, or any other dog questions, you can find everything you need in my recommended guide book.

Article Source: http://www.articlerampage.com}


To help in your search for dog training tips, I can recommend you check out this worthwhile dog training guide mentioned here. Good luck with your dog training exercises.

No comments:

Doghistory